Monday, November 22, 2010

Confessions Of A Sneakerholic

                    (Only 1/4 of the sneakers that I own don't judge me)




Hello my name is Furious and Im addicted to sneakers..It started when I was a youth and being forced to only getting one pair of shoes per school year. My mother stressed education for some reason she thinks children who had multiple pairs of sneakers were not educated. I never understood that theory of hers at all. Any how I usually ended up getting a ugly pair of kicks on clearance or I was forced to put them in lay away.I was grateful to have shoes on my feet dont get me wrong but I never had the same appreciation for them as a consumer does I was closet enthusiast.  A  average consumer buys a  pair of sneakers usually so they can wear casually with different outfits that they already own.  They want something universal so to speak so they stick with a shoe that has a neutral color scheme if they are concerned with coordinating at all.. An Enthusiast will purchases a pair based on exclusivity, and or design.  We are attracted to what is considered to be weird or unconventional..It doesnt matter  if the enthusiast has the same style shoe in 5 different colors or if they own 6 or 7 pairs of shoes that happen to be the same color or a variation of it. To us it is a different shoe entirely    Like many sneaker heads  it started with The Air Jordans. Of course I didnt own a pair until I started working and I had a greater appreciation for them simply because my hard earn money was what brought them. I went through phases with sneakers. One period I only brought Air Force Ones and Jordans. Later on I branched off to Pumas and Adidas  Superstars.

One faithful  day I discovered The Nike Dunk. I remember seeing them on clearance on a website wondering what they were. I confused them with The Air Force One they look somewhat similar. However they had no strap to them even though they were high tops. My sneaker knowledge was limited at the time and I only knew of what the local malls had. Unfortunately I never really paid attention to anything else except for forces and jordans(or what ever sneaker I was into at that time) when I went into the store. So  curiosity and not having a credit card lead me  to a finish line and I brought my first pair for like $40 bucks.... That was about 6 years ago and I havent stop buying them since.. In retrospect all those years only seeking jordans and forces the stores I went to had dunks all along and I passed over some dope colorways. I have also started buying Nike Vandals. So Dunks, Vandals and every blue moon a pair of Jordans is pretty much what I wear. I also have read books on the sneaker head culture and informed myself of all of the many flavors and styles that are out there.Eventually I submerged myself into the culture "officially" even though I was always one by spirit.

Currently I own 70 pairs of kicks which in fact is not normal and more then enough for one person to own in a life time. lol I have no plans on stopping anytime soon this is one of my few passions. Its simple some men chase women, some are into cars , some are into sports, some are all about their money. My past time is sneakers and its more for the artistic value of them. Some cop to look fly and keep up with trends I really can careless about that.I am an individual who is fascinated with art and colors. Thats pretty much what keeps me interested in them. The Dunks have been released in some of the most captivating designs. I think its natural for a person wanting to indulge into some outlet. Im a simple man that doesnt have many wants or needs. But I guess my poison would be the kicks. Nike is one hell of a drug.... Peace

P.S. this is def a light subject matter there will be more depth in the future.. its all about balance. i will be posting upcoming releases too for any fiends who visit on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment